Monday 25 April 2011

Loving Life

Everyone has a passion in life, something that they are really comfortable doing and excell in. Something which gives their life purpose and meaning, i suppose you could say? For example dance or some sort of musical talent, something that stands them apart from others and something that makes them come alive inside. Okay so I've not got an amazing passion, i used to dance; ballet, modern, tap the lot, gymnastics and drama too. I was really into it as a child but as i grew older i lost interest and slowly stopped. I then got back into it but then lost interest again and don't really bother with it anymore. My passion, the thing i love, that I'm really good at, is waitressing. I know that may sound odd to some of you, others will get what i mean...i hope anyways! I love talking to other people about their lives and meeting people through service. Every day is different and you meet a whole host of different people from different places. I love that I can have an influence on someones day, I can make it better for them, i can cheer them up and they leave with a smile on their face and greet them with open arms when they return (okay how cheese does that sound?! but you catch my drift..comes from being a supervisor too!)
Ever since I found and applied for this job in Disney, I knew that's what I wanted to do, and I'd do whatever i needed to do to get there.
When I arrived here, i knew I'd have to wait a specific amount of time until i could transfer into service but i knew right away that I'd be doing it as soon as i could.
As much as I have enjoyed the roles I have been playing since i got here, (chippie tills, chippie filler..I DESPISE THIS ROLE (only because i practically live in that place, i did a straight week of chippie filler shifts...not fun), seater, greater, beer cart and finally stocker (considered the guys role but everyone has to be trained on it...basically means you change kegs and the gas that runs the whole pub and literally make sure every area of the food and bev side of the UK pavilion runs smoothly)) I've not really felt the sense of purpose you get when you are serving people (with stocking, it was similar because it felt like you have purpose, that people need you and appreciate you more..if that makes sense?)
It made me appreciate my job back home alot more and also made me miss it.
But I've now been here what, 83 days? Close to 3 months now. I could pick up my pre service pack at 30 days and take my pre service test at 60 days. You have to pass that stage, otherwise you cannot move on to the next stage.
From my last post, I'm pretty sure i told you i was revising a shed load? Well from last Sunday, I've been revising non stop. Every night after work id sit and write everything out and go over and over it in my head. Id set myself the time scale of a week to take it in as it'll take me 2 weeks or so after i pass it to get my dates of when i have my training, I then have a week of food running and then a week of service training with my actual test being on the Thursday. Also, because this is a lengthy process, id set myself the target of being in service by mid May so i can start saving all my money and tips for when Ben comes out. A fair time schedule I'd say, even if it did drive me insane and my personal life suffered a little!
But yesterday, being Sunday, was the day id told myself i was gonna sit this test, and i felt i was pretty much ready. I felt calm and not really fussed about it if I'm honest, which is weird as at tests and exams, i usually am a wreck!
I went in and sat that test at 4.45 but it wasn't marked by the time i finished work...almost 5 hours later! As you can probably imagine, i was dying slightly but i made my manager sit down with me and mark it.
I passed.
Not even by a little bit. The pass mark is like 85%?
I got 96%.
I didn't just pass it, I near on aced it, words of my manager, not mine. Thats not me gloating and being all competitive or anything...Im shit at tests and never was really good at anything other than english and art so its a real achievement for me to have done so well.
I've never felt such relief in my life! i really need to have more faith in myself...everyone keeps saying it but i never believe it! I guess all those hours of studying did alot more than i thought they would!
So right now, I literally am the happiest i have been since I got here. I'm finally loving life! Don't get me wrong, its not horrible here at all, it is amazing and the people here are amazing and the experience here is amazing, but everyone is different so what i may be feeling now, may not be the experience others want. We all differ and this is my happiness :)
So I have an amazingly beautiful apartment which i love so very much and feel so much at home in, an amazingly awesome housemate, who I love to bits. My boy is coming to visit me in 58 days, which i am EXSTATIC about and love him so very muich for...literally, still buzzing! And I'm now going back into my passion, serving (and consequently, earning more money :)). Literally cannot tell you how happy I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment