Monday 14 February 2011

Happy Valentines Day people

Ergh, Valentines Day...such a beautiful day for those who have someone to share it with. I hate that I should have, but that big blue ocean has decided to plonk itself between us. It would be so cool if I could live here, but just go down the road and England was there..I could see him and everyone whenever I wanted!
Ive never really been a fan of Valentines day as a. Ive never really had anyone to share it with or gotten anything (pause for the awwww) and b. i kinda think its all just a big scam to get people to spend money...call me scrooge or whatever...everyone has their own views on valentines day :)
Okay...so tomorrow, I'll have been here for 2 weeks...I cant believe it, yet it feels like SO much longer.
So..Wednesday..I had my first shift in my new job. Theres 2 areas in the UK pavilion which I'll be working in...the Fish and Chip shop (chippie) and The Rose and Crown pub. I'll be trained in both areas, and trained as seater and greeter in the pub and then moving on up to server after I've been here for 90 days and passed a test...I think its a bit over the top to have to pass a test to determine whether you can serve or not but I guess Disney has its own way of serving!
So I've started in the Chippie and on Wednesday, I was trained as a filler, which basically means, reading the order that has been sent to the kitchen, filling the cardboard tray with how every many portions of fish and chips the guest has ordered and filling up drinks and making teas and coffees...you get the idea. It sounds boring but its actually alot of fun and everyones so lovely in there. On Thursday, I was trained on chippie tills, where I'm taking the customers order and putting it through the till and taking payments. I was actually dreading this part...I'm shocking with math and shocking with working out American coins! Put the 2 together and surely its a recipe for disaster! But I was actually okay and picked it up pretty quickly! I feel quite confident about both areas but practice makes perfect! I believe I have one training shift left then I'm on my own? Eeeep! That freaks me out! But come Friday I'm switching over to the pub to be trained in there...cant wait! Means I don't have to wear that god awful bonnet which makes me look like a baby!
Friday I went to the Magic Kingdom with Helen and Jon and it was so much fun! Was so awesome to just pop your cast ID in the turnstiles and walk right through! I love not having to pay to play! :)
We had a fantastic day though but it was flipping cold! Like being home in England cold!
I got my first experience of the Disney fireworks...I loooove fireworks so my excitement was uncontainable! At quarter to 8 they did something called The Magic, The Memories an You! Basically...you know the Disney photographers around the parks...well all the photographs that they take during the day, get projected onto the Castle and they have fireworks and special effects which are also projected onto the castle so it changes colour and the designs are all different. It was mesmerising! We'd had some photographs taken throughout the day so we were all trying to spot ours! We stayed for Wishes too...Ive never seen this and didn't know what to expect. All I can say, is if you come to the Magic Kingdom, if you're gonna be working over here, you HAVE to see this show. It is INCREDIBLE. Sent shivers down my spine and honestly bought a tear to my eye.
Helen's gotten me into pin trading too! I feel like a right Disney geek but I love it! Constantly looking at pins now! :)
Went to the Hollywood studios on Saturday, again the weather was sunny but chilly..Its like England's followed me here! But again, another great day!
Had Sunday off too :) Loved the whole weekend off! Had my first lye in since I got here, finally! I cant seem to sleep past 9am these days, it sucks! But yesterday Lauren, Kylie and I popped to Epcot to drop something to Meena ( how cool is it to say, yeah I popped into Epcot, where I WORK! I work here! ) Yeah, I know you're all chuckling as you read this but I don't care! :)
I attempted to talk to the mother on skype when I got back, Lauren was kind enough to lend me hers as my computer sucks! She decided that watching the BAFTA's...that she had RECORDED was more important and was like I'll catch you tomorrow. Erm..I live in America...a totally different time zone..you kinda have to plan these things! Just so happens I'm working till 10 tonight!
I still haven't sorted a phone out yet...its really difficult to keep up with people here without a phone..yeah theres the house phone but when you're out and about its difficult! But I'm gonna have to wait till next weeks so Ive got more money and I'll go to Florida Mall...the bus from the Commons only goes on a Tuesday so hopefully I'll have Tuesday off...if not I'll have to figure out another way!
Just a quick note for all who are coming to Florida soon...Yummy jobs said to bring between $200 and $400...this is NOT enough...you need more than that otherwise you WILL struggle. My first shop I did at Walmart cost me $109...I got the essentials that I needed but it hasn't left me with alot so Ive had to simplify and live basically. I'm used to it but I did have panic attacks about it so just to pre warn you...hope that helps!
I got my first 2 pieces of post yesterday...one from my Gran, who had filled up both sides of the card and a piece of paper! And then one from my mother...which simply said, 'Hope you're having a great time in the states' Nice! But I got stupidly, really excited over them..funny what words from home will do to you!
Alice has apparently sent me a Valentines card but forgot it was today so its gonna be late! Great sister I have there! But I'm excited to receive it, thats IF shes even remember to send it! I miss her so much its ridiculous

No comments:

Post a Comment